This blog is no longer being updated

For the latest content, please visit Swoj.com


Monday, October 16, 2006

Rock music in the charts

I've just been reading that My Chemical Romance and Trivium are currently #1 in the UK singles and album charts respectively (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6053586.stm).

To be honest I'm not sure where I stand on this. Of course I would much rather see 'real' guitar driven music receiving the credit it deserves and see it top of the pile rather than the latest manufactured boy-band wasters, but there's just something about us rockers/metallers that makes us uncomfortable in the limelight and receiving the adoration of the pop loving masses! I guess we are just so used to being kept in the dark and having our own scene that we don't like sharing it when a band hits the big time.

I suppose we should be saying good luck to them and here's to more appreciation to rock, metal and punk but I just have this fear of the guys who are flying our flag selling out and appearing on the latest teeny bopper magazines. Let's hope I'm wrong and the rest of the world is finally waking up to what we've known for years!

1 comment:

Steviepunk said...

Was certainly a surprise to me when I heard that My Chemical Romance had reached number one!

Just checked the BBC charts and oddly, they don't have Trivium listed as the #1 album now... odder still is that they are number 1 in the Rock Album chart (with Evanesence at number 2) yet in the UK Album Chart they are listed a couple of places behind Evanesence!

It is good that a rock song has made it up the charts, so all credit to them.

I do agree, the metal scene is used to being the outsider, and definately loves to complain about it, yet any time that metal gets some popular attention like this there is a revolt over it as really everyone is used to (and likes) being an outsider!! To make matters worse in this case, My Chemical Romance are an 'Emo' band, a style that in recent years seems to have caused quite a rift in the metal scene as a whole - so not only does the 'emo' style have to contend with extreme opinions from 'true' metal fans, it also will now be burdened with the curse of being popular!

Has to be said... you just can't win!

© Swoj.com